Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Milestones....Almost


Isaac's becoming a man. He's 22 months now and making some adjustments as Chad would say.

About two weeks ago, he decided he was done with the pacifier. Just decided one day. This is the kid who couldn't sleep without a paci. However, when I handed him the paci for his nap that day, he threw it across the room. I thought he was just delaying the nap, so I handed it to him again. Another toss across the room. Same thing happened at bedtime that night. So we just stopped offering. It was absolutely wonderful because we were gearing up for the big (assumed) battle of taking away the paci in a month or so. Milestone accomplished!

Then, we started potty training last Saturday morning using Lora Jensen's Three Day Potty Training book. I'm really, really hoping to have him 100% trained by the baby's arrival. Thus, I wanted to start now and hopefully be done with even the once-a-month random accidents by October.

The weekend was not entirely successful, but we definitely see progress. It started with an entirely diaper-dependant and toilet-fearful baby. We now have a big boy who sleeps without accidents (nap & night); however, he still isn't communicating fast enough or consistently enough during the day. He looks awfully cute in the little Elmo undies though. :)

The Lora Jensen book strongly advised against using diapers/pull-ups after starting training, and today evidenced that for me. We put him in a pull-up for the babysitter this morning because of the lack of consistent communication. I couldn't tell her what to look/listen for so how was she to know when he needed to go? However, he immediately regressed with the pull-ups. He didn't tell her either time he had to go this morning. When I got home from work around lunchtime and put him back in undies, he told me when he had to go this afternoon. We are going to continue the pull-ups this week for the babysitter, but I'm hoping to ditch them asap.

The book also suggested training around 22 months because the kids are old enough to express their desires but generally not too far into the terrible twos/"I'm playing, leave me alone"/etc. mode yet. I see the wisdom in this advice too. When Isaac was engrossed in something this weekend, it was much harder to get him to tell us first. However his (still-undiagnosed) speech delays did hamper the training. While he will actively show me what he wants to eat by pointing to a specific cabinet, he wouldn't use non-verbal communications for the potty training. And "pa" still means potty and numerous other things.

Milestone in progress.